[Sugar-devel] Github issue tracking

William Orr will at worrbase.com
Sat May 11 18:53:16 EDT 2013

> Simon Schampijer <mailto:simon at schampijer.de>
> May 11, 2013 11:55 AM
> Am 11.05.2013 um 16:45 schrieb Daniel Drake<dsd at laptop.org>:
>
>> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 4:15 AM, Daniel Narvaez<dwnarvaez at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/issues/27
>>>
>>> We should probably  decide if we want to keep using trac instead and if so
>>> turn the issue tracker on github off.
>>>
>>> Last time we discussed it, the idea was to keep using trac to not depend too
>>> much on closed source github. What are people thoughts these days?
>> I would prefer to stay with trac, to avoid a split/migration, to keep
>> the info on the tickets directly under our control, and to keep with
>> our open source ideals.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> I wanted to give it a try to see how it works at least, going through the process with this ticket. I am not opposed to stay with trac though.
>
> Simon

> May 11, 2013 10:45 AM
>
> I would prefer to stay with trac, to avoid a split/migration, to keep
> the info on the tickets directly under our control, and to keep with
> our open source ideals.
>
> Daniel
> May 11, 2013 6:15 AM
> Hello,
>
> I noticed people have started to report issues on github.
>
> https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/issues/27
>
> We should probably  decide if we want to keep using trac instead and
> if so turn the issue tracker on github off.
>
> Last time we discussed it, the idea was to keep using trac to not
> depend too much on closed source github. What are people thoughts
> these days?
>
> Personally I like github issue tracking a lot, though I see the point
> about it being closed source and I imagine a migration would be a bit
> of a pain.
>
> --
> Daniel Narvaez
Hello,

Sticking with a privately controlled bug tracker is probably a good
idea. However, trac really needs to be cleaned up, as there are a ton of
3-5 year old bugs floating around that have long since been fixed. I've
started closing the few I can't reproduce in scm.

As a new contributor, I initially had gotten the impression that no one
used trac, and I was discouraged from reporting/fixing bugs there.

--
William Orr