[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2013-05-08

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed May 8 15:07:19 EDT 2013

On 05/08/2013 04:22 PM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
[...]
>> 8. Daniel Narveaz reports that "the initial bits of the HTML activities
>> work has landed. It should now be relatively easy to start writing an
>> activity."
>>
>> (1) You'll need the latest Sugar development environment [6].
>> (2) Then open a shell and move to the source directory:
>>   make shell
>>   cd source
>> (3) Create an activity based on a template
>>   volo create my-activity ./sugar-html-template
>> (4) Install the activity for development as usual
>>   cd my-activity
>>   python setup.py dev
>> (5) To interact with the platform you will need to add the
>> sugar-core-html
>> library to your activity
>>   volo add -f ./sugar-html-core
>
> I guess that should be: "volo add -f ../sugar-html-core/" from with in
> the my-activity directory.
>
> Once you have the activity running you can then use "Ctrl+Shift+i" to
> inspect the code [1].
>
> Great work everyone,
>     Simon
>
> [1] http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2013-May/042881.html

The activity carries a copy of 'sugar-html-graphics' [1]. This is done
in order to be able to run the activity outside of Sugar.

This means that if there are changes, like the recent one [2] and you
created your activity before you have to update that copy.

The good news is that updating is easy: "volo -f updates" does update
all the deps for you. An activity author should run it before a release.

Hope this gives some background info,
    Simon

[1] https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-html-graphics
[2]