[Sugar-devel] discussion about dropping the emulator from the sugar package...

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Tue May 7 06:38:56 EDT 2013

On 7 May 2013 09:46, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:

> The reasoning for that change are all ok.
>
> I am wondering the following: who is using 'sugar-emulator' at the moment
> on Fedora (or possibly other distributions)?
>
> I think a developer can use 'sugar-build' fine those days for his needs.
> It is well supported and solid, and the dependencies you need to install
> are the same, just that the sugar repos are built on the machine. For a
> developer this setup makes sense imho.
>
> The other use case is someone who wants to try out Sugar under GNOME. For
> him having to install the sugar packages including the emulator and then
> having a nice icon to start it from is a great thing to have. He does not
> have to log into Sugar from his session manager.
>
> If we think the latter is a use case we want to support, we should package
> sugar-runner. I would do it in a separate package for the reasoning Daniel
> described in his initial mail [1]: "A separate module make sense here
> because most users will never run this code. It's largely a collection of
> hacks which are not necessary when running as a normal desktop environment."

Taking a bit of a step back, I think it's important to mention that
sugar-runner (or sugar-emulator) are not quite the ideal technical solution
for the try-out case. I mean, running one session inside the other is
hacky, tricky and is just getting harder with stuff like systemd. For that
use case you'd ideally just make it easier to run another gdm session in
parallel, so that sugar gets its own full session and just works.

With that in mind, I think the best upstream can do is to keep maintaining
sugar-runner separately from sugar-build, so that *if* distributions want
they might continue to include it.