[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] multiple home views

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu May 2 12:48:34 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>> After reading the old thread,
>>
>> I see there was agreement on the problem, but no one discussed the
>> solution / workflow.
>>
>> I think multiple home views can complicate the Sugar interface.
>> Overloading the favorites as proposed complicates things, IMHO.
>>
>> Here are two other options:
>>
>> - A School activity that is a launcher of other activities.  It can
>> have collections like "Math", etc.
>

>> - Enhace the search entry: search for tags.  Add tags to activities
>> like "math". Provide autocompletion.
>>

> Yeah. I think either of these proposals are possible solutions, but at a
> cost:
> (1) something more for teachers to learn (they already know how to use the
> homeview)
> (2) something more to maintain
> (3) something more to design/code
> (4) not clear they actually lessen complexity

And another thing :)

I am not convinced that searching by curriculum topic, e.g.,g searching for
"math" is in line with how we want to encourage Sugar to be used in the
classroom. A project-based approach is about tools, not curriculum. So, for
example, if I wanted the kids to make a Fototoon, I'd want Fototoon,
Record, Paint, Browse, Write, et al. on the desktop. Collections based on
projects, not curricula, is what we should be promoting.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs