[Sugar-devel] Web services (was Re: Features for 0.100)

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 13:52:35 EDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 March 2013 16:27, Martin Abente <martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> - webservices
>>> - comment field in journal detail view
>>>

>> We should also keep in mind that webservices can offer a lot of utilities
>> for deployments in the near future, and it will give Sugar a another way to
>> expand its capabilities without "writing-from-scratch" everything.
>
> I would like to get a better sense of the amount of work that is
> involved here. Is the framework ready for review or are there missing
> pieces which are still in development? Which services have been
> implemented and which ones do you plan to develop for 0.100? Is
> support for all the services going to be part of the sugar module or
> do you plan to maintain it outside?

We have a framework and two webservices up and running at this point.
The review process for the framework itself is underway. The
webservices by-in-large live outside of Sugar, but there are cpsection
services and webservice code to drop into extensions in order enable
individual services. We learned a lot from going from one service to
more-than-one service and a second rebased set of patches are being
prepared.

For 0.100, I expect we'll have two webservices that users could load
into their profiles (for Facebook and Twitter) and possibly ones for
Google+ and Google Drive. I am also in discussion with Gonzalo et al.
about using the webservce framework as the interface for his Journal
sharing service, but that is more speculation at this point. Plus
there has been discussion about developing a service for
status.sugarlabs.org (based on the next generation of status.net
services). The goal is to get framework in place so anyone can develop
services.

> Are you referring to the html5 effort with writing-from-scratch? I do
> think there is a bit of tension between adding more functionalities
> using the current toolkit and developing a new one based on html5. I
> would say they are both worthwhile goals but they would benefit from
> explicit planning/prioritization.

-walter

--
Walter Bender