[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Raspberry Pi

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 05:25:25 EDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza at oooes.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 3:14 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza at oooes.org> wrote:
>> > Hi I want to know the status of a RaspberryPi distribution like Raspbian
>> > which can handle Sugar's environment. Something like Sugar on a Pi.
>> >
>> > I could find this testing reports talking about Sweets
>> >
>> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Testing/Reports/Sweets_on_Raspberry_pi_armhf_raspbian
>> >
>> > The reports seems to say is stable but slow. I wonder if there has been
>> > any
>> > optimization gone into this as of lately?
>>
>> There's no specific optimisation being done for Sugar on the Raspberry
>> Pi. There is some general looking at platform optimisation in general.
>> I'm not sure of the status of Sugar in Debian but Sugar in Fedora ARM
>> is up to date to the latest OLPC stable releases they ship on the XOs
>> on F18 and there's an ongoing project to optimise Fedora on the
>> Raspberry Pi.
>

> I see one of the big issues according to this post are activities such as
> Browse, Read, Ruler and Tamtam. Some of them are pretty well used by kids.
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Testing/Reports/Sweets_on_Raspberry_pi_armhf_raspbian#Activities
>
> I don't think this is distro related issues but on architecture/code.

You also need to realise that this device is of similar spec to the
original XO-1, we're not talking about a super computer here, you get
what you pay for. Granted there could be a lot of work done to
optimise for the RPi, but there's also a number of platforms
considerably more powerful for a few bucks more. There's also a new
device coming out in April that will be of very similar price and of
considerably more power. You'll see more about this when it's publicly
available.

Peter