[Sugar-devel] HTML5 activities (was Re: 0.100 release schedule)

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 14:22:26 EDT 2013

On 27 March 2013 18:47, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> About the general strategy, it would be great to foster around a common
> goal, to me the html5 activities would fit perfectly here. There is still to
> define the exact goals of the feature itself but the research Daniel has
> been doing here is a good base for it.
>
> The nice thing with html5 activities is that they can be used on different
> platforms, for example the discussions about Sugar on Android would benefit
> from that work. And it would be a nice addition to get new developers on
> board.
>
> For the other features, I would suggest to limit them and check the ones
> that have been deferred previously (e.g. multi select in Journal) in
> releases and the one that have been submitted as of today (e.g. background
> in Home) for inclusion in this cycle.

There seem to be general consensus in the community that it's a top
priority to port Sugar to other software and hardware platform, in
particular Android based mobile devices. I think porting our toolkit
to html5 is a requirement to make that possible in a maintenable way.
You certainly don't want to maintain an almost completely different
codebase for each platform.

Moving activities to html5 will take a lot of time and they will
coexist with native activities for long. But to make it even possible
to start the process, we need an html5 implementation of the toolkit
to exist, even if not on par with the native one.

To achieve that goal we will need everyone help, so focusing 0.100 on
it sounds like an excellent idea to me.