[Sugar-devel] Features: Background image in Home View

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Tue Mar 26 08:30:35 EDT 2013

Replies to different questions and proposals:

> From the wiki page, I can't distinguish the good background examples
from the bad ones....

I was using the backgrounds provided by fedora 18, as examples.
They are no so good for us as you said. I see two ways to have good
backgrounds:
preserve the circle in the middle, like the hand drawn kid, or use alpha as
in the last one,
(already proposed in the thread). But I am sure we will see other
possibilities
when the kids use it, like use the random layout and put the icons on
strategic places,
usually kids are smarter than we expect.

+1 to slider to play with alpha

+1 to not need restart to apply the changes.

About applying the image on all the views, probably is better.
I understand the zoom metaphor is not so clear if the background image does
not change,
but I don't know how to improve that. In fact, the only element changing is
the central kid icon.

About the tiled backgrounds, I like it very much, but only if there are
code & art available.
If not, apply the rule "perfect is the enemy of good" [1]

Gonzalo

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good