[Sugar-devel] Features: Background image in Home View

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Mon Mar 25 13:41:30 EDT 2013

2013/3/25 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:
>> My first impression is that this feature can potentially hurt the
>> clean design of Sugar at some points:
>>
>> - the icons color semantic
>> - high contrast, accesibility
>
> Agreed. IMHO it can be improved by applying a "washout" -- mix the
> image with a white image at 50% alpha.

Great, a washout is a simple and effective solution to my concerns.
We can play with the percentage of white to get the best value.  I
feel 60-70% could be better.

>> I would like to know more about why is this a long requested feature,
>
> Identity is a strong human urge. Kids put stickers on them, adults buy
> cars of different colors :-)

You are right, and I have to say I love the art intervention kids do
with stickers.  I was wondering if the home background was the right
place.  Sounds like a valid reason.

>> - Adding it only in the home view kills the ilussion of having three
>> zoom views.  The background should be displayed in all three, I think.
>
> +1

Ideally the background could do a subtle zoom to better enhace the
illussion.  Would require hardware acceleration though.  Could be left
for future enhacement.

--
.. manuq ..