[Sugar-devel] Raspberry Pi and Sugar

Aleksey Lim alsroot at sugarlabs.org
Sun Mar 17 06:05:28 EDT 2013

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 06:08:19PM -0400, Jeff Elkner wrote:
> Hi Aleksey,
>
> I'm at the US Pycon, where each of the 2500+ attendees were given a
> Raspberry Pi yesterday.  I ran into Nicholas H.Tollervey
> (http://ntoll.org), and we started talking about Raspberry Pi's and
> Sugar.  I mentioned to him that I'm dying to get Sugar working well in
> my Ubuntu lab, and I would love to be able to install it in Raspian as
> well.  I mentioned the Sweets distribution
> (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sweets_Distribution), and told him it
> works great, but that you might want some help keeping it up to date.
> He told me he knew someone from the Raspberry Pi community who may be
> interested in doing just that.
>
> Thanks!

I've CCed sugar-devel@ because I'm not well informed about current ARM
related efforts. Since XO-1.75 is ARM based, all needed patches should
be already landed to upstream sugar (maybe not in 0.94 wich is the last
release in Sweets). So, recent sugars should work in Debian on ARM from
official packages.

In any case,  being initialy launched, Sweets Distribution was a way to
workaround bad (that time) Sugar support in Ubuntu releases. For now, I
see that Ubuntu uses Debian sugar packages, and, if Debian packaging
goes well, it might be more useful to concentrate Sugar-on-ARM efforts
on Debian level.

Regarding Sweets Distribution, it tends to evolve to a "production"
Sugar repository (with only Sugar versions used in the field) and any
ARM related work will be, finally, reused any way.

--
Aleksey