[Sugar-devel] Icon theme overriding

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 11:41:47 EDT 2013

LOn Saturday, 22 June 2013, Walter Bender wrote:

> > * You seem to have a Sugar/sugar mismatch in the theme name and directory
> > name.
>
> Not sure this is a problem. In the sugar theme, the name is OLPC,
> which doesn't match anything.

You are probably right I didn't test it separately. I thought it might
matter because the index was outside, being inside it would make sense to
not matter. We should change OLPC :)

> * You don't want to call gtk-icon-cache-update on the system path. You
> might
> > want to do so on the user icon dir instead.
>
> Don't think I need this at all. But it can be added to Ignacio's user
> app if needed.

Not required but I don't know if it would be a good optimisation. Gtk might
not cache icons in memory, if that's the case we should do this to avoid
touching disk every time. Need to check the code.

If we do it I'd rather do it in the shell, it's a global thing.

> * If you haven't yet take a look to
> >
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html
> > which explains nicely how this stuff is supposed to work.
>
> I was looking for something like this. Couldn't find anything as
> straight-forward in the GNOME docs.
>
> Seems as long as we set up the theme properly (which can be done from
> user space), we can do everything from the activity itself, so no need
> for any sugar changes to

Something you might want in the shell is to refresh the caches (both gtk
and sugar) on file changes in the user directory. Otherwise you will need a
restart. Perhaps as a first step requiring a restart is ok, I dunno. Make
it all work on the fly is probably some work, I'm sure there are bugs
involved too.

--
Daniel Narvaez