[Sugar-devel] Your help is needed!

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 23:54:47 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> The problem with upgrading pootle is not only our lack of knowledge
> about how internally works, but also the modifications already done.
> Then, nobody really knows how much time will take a upgrade,
> and what is the work involved.
> The infrastructure group of volunteers is small and maintain
> many services, pootle, git, the bug tracker, mail servers, wikis....

We were once upon a time blessed with the support of Sayamindu DasGupta,
but sadly, his pursuit of further academic studies deprived us of his
help.  I had previously worked mostly on the community organization aspects
of the translation team, and have learned the bare minimum to keep things
moving along (adding new projects, etc.)

Sayamindu had done some special hacks on Poolte for Sugar Labs (source to
be found in the pootle-helpers project on gitorious) and had far more
sysadmin-fu than I do.  Over the years, I've managed to keep our Pootle
instance limping along pretty well with a lot of help from devs and
sysadmins (I'm most especially grateful to Aleksey Lim for his steadfast
support).

At this point, we've skipped a few Pootle upgrades and as Gonzalo correctly
points out, none of us is all that familiar with estimating the workload to
catch up with a current version and to adapt any of Sayamindu's old scripts
to the latest version. It is definitely more than I can handle on my own,
but I have faith that we all understand the importance of i18n/L10n to our
shared mission and so I posted my plea for help.  Not a complaint, just an
honest call for assistance, so I do not let down our devs, translators or
users.

cjl