[Sugar-devel] Building on FreeBSD

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Tue Jun 18 22:02:15 EDT 2013

Hi,

I think the miss of responses to this email provoked your rant, so
I'll try to answer:

2013/2/9 outro pessoa <outro.pessoa at gmail.com>:
> It seems- and why not- that the system- Sugar, that is- is entirely a Linux
> project. Is there any way possible that I could build each individual
> module such as desktop, terminal, browser, et al and not the entire suite? I

In general, not possible.  Sugar activities are a unique kind of apps
and they relay on the services Sugar provides.  It is up to the
developer to provide a standalone execution.  For example, Turtle
Blocks can run in GNOME desktop.

Having Terminal or Browse running outside Sugar would not be very useful.

> am still working on the dependencies while asking this question. FreeBSD-
> and the other BSDs- has is own sound server/driver and shouldn't need pulse.
> This is my opinion and not that of the BSD community.  My experience is with
> Makefiles and not that of python. It would still be nice to port Sugar to
> another OS to give developers an alternative platform. The only BSD "ready
> made" distribution is PCBSD.

Sorry I don't have a clue about BSD, but I can tell you that
separating Sugar into modules and trying to run them on FreeBSD may
not be the correct path to follow if you want to support that system.
A lot of work would be needed.

--
.. manuq ..