[Sugar-devel] Use ObjectChooser filtering by activity

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Jun 17 10:21:52 EDT 2013

On 06/17/2013 03:37 PM, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> I like the idea of disabling the filter in this objectchooser.
>

> On 17 June 2013 15:34, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
>
>> On 06/13/2013 06:35 PM, Daniel Narvaez wrote:

>>> Oh I see, you are talking about the approach in your patch. That's still
>>> quite tricky though... Would you keep the current filtering behavior for
>>> journal? Would it apply to object chooser only? To certain object choosers
>>> only?
>>>

>> Yes, the trickiest bit is how to display that in the UI. Non of the
>> current filters does match this case here, using the activity icon would
>> confront with what it currently means in the filter, as it means an object
>> of that activity.
>>
>> Maybe this special objectchooser has just no filter sub-toolbar? And the
>> message when no matching object could be found reads as "No entry found
>> that can be opened with Activity [Name of activity]."
>>
>> Simon

Talked about it with Gonzalo, so:

As we said, there are two options to filter for in regard to Activities:

(a) filter for objects of type activity X
(b) filter for bjects that can be opened with activity X

In the Journal (a) is important, because (b) can be solved with using
the options in the resume-with-Palette. With the object chooser we are
interested in (b) when we have the case like Read "Open a book for
Reading" or Jukebox "Something to play" (Music or video).

I would leave the Journal case untouched and suggest to add another
ObjectChooser for the described case. It would have no filter toolbar. I
was thinking about making it inactive but that would suggest no
filtering has been applied which is not correct here. Maybe where the
filter is now there could be a explanation sub title like: "Filtered for
objects that can be opened with this activity." or "Filtered for objects
that can be opened with [Activity Name]."

Technically I would add another parameter to the ObjectChooser,
defaulting to None to make it backwards compatible. The name could be
"suited_filter".

Cheers,
    Simon