[Sugar-devel] About customization of xo icon

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 08:50:27 EDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 4:21 AM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, 16 June 2013, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
>>
>> I think we should decide if changing the xo icon is a feature we _really_
>> want
>> include in sugar.
>>
>> I am not sure if add too much value, but probably can add confusion,
>> more if is applied in all the places where the xo icons is used , like the
>> actual
>> implementation do. May be we can limit the change to only the favorites
>> view?
>>

> Can you elaborate on where/why it would be confusing?
>

>> About the change in the control panel, in the past we tried to not add
>> more items,
>> like in the case of the proxy configuration, and that was a feature needed
>> in some
>> deployments.
>

>  In general I'm for having as little preferences as possible and in my usage
> I tend to stick with defaults. Though I think a bit of customisation doesn't
> hurt. I'd rather have the proxies automatically configured for me and ways
> to tweak a bit the sugar appeareance...

I don't think it adds much value from the pedagogical perspective to
customize icons, but I think the users would enjoy it and I think it
has minimal impact. The control panel could be folded into the About
Me section. Probably we could add to config.py the default path for
finding icons? Should it be in ~/Documents to make it easier for our
users to add new icons from the Journal?

It may be worthwhile exploring down the road having the icon appear as
the buddy icon remotely. I could imaging that getting a lot more use
for a wide variety of things, not the least, indicating status.

-walter

> --
> Daniel Narvaez

Walter Bender