[Sugar-devel] [sugar-build] Landing the chroot branch

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 11:06:17 EDT 2013

On 10 July 2013 13:16, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> I am worried about two points:
>
> * How this change impact regarding to disk space/bandwidth usage?

At the moment we are downloading 264 MB to create the chroot (installing
the deps on a default Fedora installation with master sugar-build downloads
84 MB). Disk usage of the chroot is 1.9 GB after cleaning yum (which we
should fix broot to do).

IMO it's acceptable. Also I don't have numbers but I'm pretty sure that on
distro != Fedora19 you end up downloading/using disk substantially less in
the chroot branch then in master.

> * If the different build bots will use a chroot to a single (F19) distro,
> will this change mask problems regarding to compatibility issues?

I'm not planning to maintain buildbots for each distribution. With the new
scheme the code that could be affected by the distro is very little and
shouldn't change much once it's solid. So I think we can probably deal with
that without automatic testing.

I suppose you mean that we wouldn't be testing the sugar code base
compatibility with multiple distros. That's true and it's a bit of a
downside. Though I can't remember any distro specific bug that we found in
sugar since I wrote sugar-build... it has always been just matter of
installing the required deps. So I don't think it's too much of a problem.