[Sugar-devel] [sugar-build] Experimental support for any (most?) distributions

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 18:37:41 EDT 2013

Hello,

I added support for creating and using a chroot transparently to
sugar-build. This will make possible to use it also on distributions which
are not "natively" supported.

The only requirement is debootstrap which seems to be available in all the
distros I checked (fedora, debian, ubuntu, archlinux, gentoo). Building the
chroot takes some time/network but it's a one time thing, so it shouldn't
be too annoying.

I tested it on Debian and partially on Fedora 18 so far. Please test it on
your favorite distribution and let me know if you find any issue.

I suggest something like this (it's supposed to be completely transparent,
but I haven't really tested all the paths yet).

git clone git://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-build
cd sugar-build

Create a prefs.json file with content (perhaps pick a mirror near you)
{"chroot": {"mirror": "http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/"}}

./osbuild
... wait ...
build
... wait ...
run

exit

On exit you might failures to unmount. If so I suggest you unmount it
manually, otherwise you will likely have issues next time you use it. Also
please send me the output. It's pretty tricky to get unmount right, but I'm
sure we will get there eventually.

When this is solid enough the plan is to enable it automatically on all the
distributions which are not supported natively (though I'll keep a
prefs.json option to disable the chroot and get current behavior).

Now when gtk 3.8 and webkigtk 2.0 will make it to jessie things will be
much faster... I'm tempted to just rebuild the packages from
unstable/experimental, upload them somewhere and pull them in the chroot.

--
Daniel Narvaez