[Sugar-devel] [sugar-build] Phasing out Fedora 18 support

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 16:00:36 EDT 2013

On 2 July 2013 21:01, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > It's not a change. Since I announced it, the policy with sugar-build has
> > been to support only the latest version of a distro.
> >
> > If you want to change that you will have to figure out how to resource
> it,
> > I'm personally not interested in maintaining support for multiple distro
> > version if not for a short time to allow people to upgrade... It's
> already
> > complicated enough as it is.
>
> You realise it's not all about you and the world doesn't revolved
> around just you. The current stable releases for both SoaS and OLPC
> are both based on Fedora 18 and while F-19 is out today it does take
> time for people to migrate. The current devel release for OLPC is on
> Fedora 18 as well. I can understand phasing out Fedora 17 as it's EOL
> in a month but while it might be easy for you to click you fingers and
> move on a lot of activity developers take quite some time and will
> remain on Fedora 18 for some time because that's what the current OLPC
> stable release is based upon.

I'm not sure activity developers generally need to use sugar-build. Unless
they want to hack on sugar itself or to use some new API (web activities
for example) packages should work just fine. My main goal with sugar-build
is to make it easy to participate to the development of the Sugar core.

> I'm not sure what the problem with is with F-18.... the current stable
> release of sugar supports it just fine.

Master is pretty different from stable and we need to already build several
external packages on F18 to keep things working.

Anyway all that I'm saying is that maintaining sugar-build support for
three distribution is already using too much of my time. That's pretty much
the best I can do. If we want to increase that number, we need other people
to jump in.