[Sugar-devel] Yet another project to port Sugar to Android ?

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 10:25:57 EDT 2013

I'm confused. To the best of my knowledge Sugar doesn't run on Android
(yet?) and the focus of the HTML 5 work was to enable Activities written in
HTML 5 to run on Sugar (and not to port Sugar to run on an HTML platform
such as a browser). So we really only have Sugar on Linux.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Christoph

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Samuel Greenfeld <greenfeld at laptop.org>wrote:

> Although I cannot comment officially, my understanding is that these
> really are not that separate.
>
> What you have at the moment are a few things called "Sugar":
>
>    - Sugar on Linux
>    - Sugar on Android (sometimes including the Dreams UI for the XO
>    Learning environment)
>    - Sugar on HTML5 (an overlay that fits over both)
>
> Historically "Sugar on Android" was considered equivalent to "Sugar on
> HTML5", with different groups preferring different terms.   This may still
> be the case.
>
> Sugar Labs as an organization probably should officially decide what
> should be called part of Sugar, and what they do not wish to be included in
> its definition.
>

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM, <lionel at olpc-france.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> In a recent blog post on the OLPC association web site [1], I read that
>> there is a new (at least for me) project to port Sugar to Android.****
>>
>> Specifically, the post mentioned that the work is done by Morphoss [2], a
>> New Zealand company and that it allow to use Sugar on the XO tablet.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> I wonder if anyone on this list know this work and in which way it could
>> be linked with the current work on HTML5 Sugar Framework?****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Of course it’s clear for me that it’s better to work together on the same
>> project instead of working on two different projects to do the same thing !
>> ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Tell me what you think.****
>>
>> ** **