[Sugar-devel] Some queries regarding the Maliit OSK

Ajay Garg ajay at activitycentral.com
Sat Feb 23 22:56:34 EST 2013

Hi Walter.

  * I cloned the "walters-gtk-touch" repository, build the bundle, and
deployed on my XO-4.
    The OSK appeared fine now :)

    First issue solved !

  * However, any "thought" hidden by the OSK, cannot have the text added.

  * I then encapsulated the "gtk.Fixed" within a "gtk.ScrolledWindow".
    Now, the "window-resizing-upon-OSK-appearance" solution worked,
enabling the user to enter text in widgets
    even in the lower part of the window.

    Second issue solved !!

  * Now, we know that a textwidget is mainly subjected to four types of
actions upon a click ::

        1)
        If the click is "left" and "inside" the textwidget, text needs to
be entered.

        2)
        If the click is "left" and "on the boundary" of the textwidget, and
the "click held on", the textwidget needs to be resized.

        3)
        If the click is "right" and "on the boundary" of the textwidget,
and then the "left-click-drag" is done, the widget needs to be moved.

        4)
        If the click is "left" and "outside" a textwidget, a new textwidget
is spawned.

As  can be seeen, there are two issues with the above four scenarios in
tablet-mode::

        a)
        Cases [1], [2] and [4] are more easily segregated/differentiated
using a mouse-pointer, but might be very hard to get "bang on",
        when using a finger (in tablet-mode).

        b)
        Case [3] does not work at all in tablet-mode.

Just makes me wonder whether an activity like Labyrinth is more suitable
only in non-touch mode ???