[Sugar-devel] From GConf to GSettings

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Fri Dec 27 07:18:56 EST 2013

> It seems these can be split in
>
> 1 Sugar settings. /desktop/sugar/...
> 2 Activity setting. /apps/...
>
> For the all keys in group 1, I think we to keep setting them for a while
> both in gconf and in gsettings. They are API and just breaking it would be
> bad. We should deprecate them now and remove them later. I think Gonzalo
> suggestion to have python methods to access the most common might be a good
> idea, but IMO it's not sufficient and not necessary for the plain port
> (other GCI task?).

Note than for nick_name and color we already have api in the toolkit.
We should recommend to activity developers use the api instead of read the
gconf value.
If there are cases in sugar reading the gconf value, should use profile too.
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/blob/master/src/sugar3/profile.py#L201

Gonzalo