[Sugar-devel] Gambiarra game

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 18:35:52 EST 2013

On 24 December 2013 23:36, Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn <alanjas at hotmail.com>wrote:

> No. I only aswer this email (see below).
> The mantainer is not "Unresponsive", only takes more of 1 month to asnwer,
> that what is?
> "slow modem connection user"? :-)

Well, to start with give him more of a chance :) He didn't answer to one
email, he might have missed it, forgot about it or even thought you didn't
need an answer to go ahead and post the merge request.

*Disclaimer*. Below I'm talking hypotetically, not referring to this
specific case.

If a maintainer is very slow but it's clear he wants to review code before
it's pushed, I don't think we should do so without his permission. It's his
project, he is even free to reject perfectly good code without looking at
it, if he wants.

"The purpose for this policy is to provide a mechanism within Sugar Labs to
handle situations when a package maintainer becomes unavailable to continue
maintainership". That's the only case where taking over without permission
is acceptable really (and perhaps only on ALSO, but that's not what the
current policy says).

If the maintainer is doing a bad job, by either refusing good code or
simply taking ages to do reviews, I think the only way to handle it is
convince him to cooperate or to fork.

Coming back to the specific case, I bet that if you pester the maintainer
enough you will get feedback on your patches :)