[Sugar-devel] Gambiarra game

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 15:15:25 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 10:02:42AM -0200, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
>> Hi Aleksey,
>> I agree with you, but Alan have tried to communicate with Luiz for a month,
>> and the activity didn't had any development for 4 years,
>> then in this case, is not a disrespect to the maintainer.
>> It is possible at least add Alan to the project as owner, without remove
>> Luiz?
>
> If there are issues with having new repo, could you share them.
>
> Otherwise, git.sl.o, in my mind, is a regular site to host users'
> repositories. For example, I will rather stop using github if its admins
> decide to grant permissions to the repo I created to other people.

Aleksey,

As a general rule, I cannot disagree with your concerns about FOSS
standards of ownership in general.  However, Sugar Labs in some ways
does more to respect the original owner's work by taking over control
of it and keeping it going.  In particular, we have a lot of
first-time authors that generate an activity as a student project, but
are not really committed to it's long-term maintenance in the way
people usually are in a FOSS project.

I fully believe that if an original author returned to active
development, the caretaker would be more than willing to relinquish
control back, including hte possibility of forking their work off and
giving the original owner a rolled-back repo.

In this case, I am in favor fo turning over ownership and not forking,
it also helps a lot with keeping Pootle simpler  (for thos activities
tha a=re set up).

Just my 2 cents.

cjl