[Sugar-devel] [support-gang] Sugarizer, a taste of Sugar on any device

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Dec 20 18:16:33 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 03:03:43PM -0800, Sameer Verma wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2013 10:52 PM, "James Cameron" <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 11:16:26PM +0100, Lionel Laské wrote:
> > > It's already packaged as an Android App :-)
> > > Click on the "Android App on Google play" to download the .apk file.
> >
> > Sorry, I didn't see anything with those words that would respond to a
> > click.
> >
> > Good to know you have published it on Google Play, but that requires
> > an account, and I'd rather not demand that an account be used by
> > learners.
> >

> This is a major showstopper for the currently peddled/marketed XO Tablet.
>
> 1) the child may not have an account on Google.
> 2) the child may not be online/have connectivity.
> 3) The child may not have $2.99 for the Alchemy app (for example).

Yes, it is a disadvantage.  The intended use is that the system is
controlled by an adult for the purposes of using contracted services
like Google Play.

Deployments may handle this by setting up their own internal
equivalents, even if it is a collection of .apk's on a web server.

That's also how I'd like to handle it locally, which is why I was
interested in the .apk file.

> Note: I did have to enable installation from unknown sources.

Yes, me too.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/