[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Enhancement: Add description in Journal Palette

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 12:19:32 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
> Why there are multiple separators (horizontal lines) around the description?
> I really don't know if is good continue putting information in the palette,
> it's already crowded.
>
> Gonzalo
>

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Ignacio Rodríguez <nachoel01 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I make a patch for #4686:
>> """
>> Enhancement: show object description in its palette
>> Found it in a design at the wiki:
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Journal-04.jpeg
>> Making descriptions be shown upfront throughout the interface, would
>> increase the usefullness of the description box, and make objects more
>> discoverable.
>> Perhaps only a few lines of text would be shown, say 2, as it is only
>> supposed to be a preview of the description.
>> """
>>
>> My final version:
>> http://sugarlabs.org/~ignacio/Archivos/MenuDescription.png
>>
>> I attached the patch.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Ignacio

(1) I think there is an if missing from Ignacio's patch that was there
in earlier versions. If there is no desc. then no new spacers.
(2) While I agree that the palette is very full, this addition IMHO,
adds value in two ways: it is real information and it is one more
encouragement to use the description mechanism, which as pedagogical
value.

regards.

-walter

--