[Sugar-devel] Sugar Labs Roadmap.

Daniel Castelo dcastelo at plan.ceibal.edu.uy
Tue Dec 10 11:31:41 EST 2013

Just to share information about Uruguay. Here we gave classmate machines to
some of our teachers. They prefer this laptops, instead of XO, because have
a better overall performance.

This machines have Ubuntu with Sugar Sweets Distribution. We prefer Ubuntu,
instead of Fedora as Linux Distribution, because has Long Term Support.
Additionally this, the provider has more experience in this distribution.

Today we use Fedora because is the Operating System of OLPC, but in case we
start to use other hardware we will prefer other linux distributions.

Regards

Daniel

2013/12/8 Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 5:33 AM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Top posting again, sorry.
> >>
> >> - Future availability of the XO
> >>
> >> From my perspective I don't see alternatives to a wait and see approach.
> >> Maybe someone more into OLPC things does though...
> >>
> >> - Hardware alternatives
> >>
> >> A few good options was brought in the other threads, a couple for
> >> deployments
> >>
> >> * Classmate
> >
> > Classmate and Classmate variants are already quick wide spread in some
> > deployments, e.g., Argentina
> >
> >> * Chromebook
> >
> > At least one deployment is looking at this option.
>
> Another option that while not perfect at the moment is some of the new
> x86 ‘Bay Trail’ based Windows tablets such as the Dell Venue 8 Pro or
> similar models from other manufacturers. The linux experience on them
> at the moment is far from great but I don't believe it'll be long
> before they're quite usable for people that wish to use sugar via
> tablet.
>
> >> Another couple more for community evaluation (evaluation, testing,
> >> marketing)
> >>
> >> * Linux compatible ARM boards
> >> * Virtualbox
> >
> > SoaS is our current offering for Virtualbox (As you pointed out in a
> > experience, that is 1 too many for our audience. Something we may be
> > able to address by approaching some of the VM suppliers.)
>
> The virtual box image, which isn't supported by me, is a terrible
> experience. It's almost impossible to support well and with a single
> click this form of deployment. Unfortunately this method of deployment
> is far from straight forward for the average end user without
> technical assistance.
>
> Peter

Ing. Daniel Castelo
Jefe de Desarrollo en Dispositivos
Plan Ceibal

Avda. Italia 6201 - Montevideo - Uruguay.
Tel.: 2 601 57 73 Interno 2030
E-mail : dcastelo at plan.ceibal.edu.uy