[Sugar-devel] Adding compatibility in webactivity to webkit1

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 13:26:01 EST 2013

On 3 December 2013 20:08, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:

> I think we should develop sugar-web looking at the future, which in
> the case of GTK is WebKitGTK2.
>
> That being said, I don't mind a fallback to WebKitGTK1 if WebKitGTK2
> is not available in the toolkit.  But I think that we should not make
> anything special in sugar-web to support it.  If it works, fine.

Let me try to detail that a bit, also for future reference (let me know if
I got it wrong).

* Add webkit1 support to sugar-toolkit-gtk3, i.e. land Gonzalo patch. (I
suppose it still make sense to have it upstream so that other distributions
can reuse it easily if they want?)
* Allow sugar-web contributors to break webkit1 support.
* Allow interested parties to land sugar-toolkit-gtk3 patches that adapt
webkit1 support.
* Do not allow special casing of sugar-web to support webkit1.

I'd be happy with that and it feels like a good compromise given the
opinions people have been expressing on the thread so far.