[Sugar-devel] Are we ready for code freeze?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 13:33:20 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> code freeze is due on 4 September. We have seven days left and I don't think
> we are going to be ready, there are still > 250 bugs to triage, 11 must fix
> already tagged, very little testing done judging from the number of incoming
> bug reports and a "not ready" feeling when running master.
>
> The options I see are:
>
> 1 Fix as many bug as possible during the time left and release anyway. If
> someone does testing and report critical bugs later, fix them in minor
> releases.
> 2 Reschedule to have N weeks to do more testing and triaging, then N weeks
> to clear the must fix list.
> 3 Switch to continuous development (details to be defined, but hopefully you
> get what I mean).
>
> I tend to think we should do 1 and then 3 or 3 directly. My feeling is that
> our usual time based releases process doesn't work well in a situation where
> there are no firm resources to commit by anyone.
>
> Just dumping my mind really, I'm mostly interested to hear how people feel
> about the situation.
>
> --
> Daniel Narvaez

To me the issue is that we have no sense of the urgency of the 250
bugs that have not been triaged. Most of the bugs that have been
triaged are not urgent and should not hold up the release. (They can
be tagged for 102 with little consequence.) But the great unknown is
what scares me.

-walter

--
Walter Bender