[Sugar-devel] Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 58, Issue 47

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sat Aug 24 03:21:04 EDT 2013

Hi, Jerry

I think the difference in approach is that you have a centralized
organization supporting widely distributed deployments. In that case
providing an image with the necessary customizations is probably much
easier.

For those of us supporting a stack of XOs in a room, it is very simple
to run a post-install (post-flash?) script. It adds a few minutes per XO
since the flash has to be done by usb key anyway. This also avoids the
'locked' XO problem.

I had the experience in Rwanda of attempting to do a local OS build. The
first step was to download about 10GB of repository. Not going to happen
in the internet environment there. A deployment who wants to rebuild
must make sure that it has the repositories available on hard drives
capable of doing the build offline.

Tony