[Sugar-devel] mp3 etc.

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sat Aug 24 02:43:54 EDT 2013

Hi,

De facto, users can install the codecs as I understand it. The problem
is distribution.

The problem is not simple.

The following files are needed:

These two decode mp3

libgstmad.so
libmad.so

These two decode AAC (the audio stream in mp4 video)

libgstfaad.so
libfaad.so

This handles the video.

gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.13-8.fc18.i686.rpm

The rpm is available freely and handles webm. This is one of the two
formats that IIAB used for the Khan Academy videos. Jukebox should
probably include webm support out of the box.

The other four are required to handle mp3 and mp4 (audio). They can be
obtained by installing the 'gstreamer ugly' rpm and then copying from
/usr/lib and /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10.

Including mime-types for these in the Jukebox activity even though the
codecs are not installed has no serious consequences. The Journal will
show an option to start a file but then simply doesn't play the file.

However, a deployment can unzip the xo file, edit the mime-types, zip
(or use setup.py) the xo, and install from the modified xo file.

Tony