[Sugar-devel] Jukebox activity issue

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Thu Aug 22 03:53:52 EDT 2013

Hi

I finally got to grips with 13.1.0 on an XO-1.5 with 8GB

Previously we have only had XO 1s and XO 1.5s with 2GB, on which I could not
upgrade from 11.3.1

Previously, in order to make it possible for the 100s of XOs here to play
videos and music (other than ogg) we needed a way to install gstreamer
codecs from a USB stick. The method shown below was used to download all the
necessary rpms. Then you could go round and install the codecs on all the
XOs and it was possible to play the multimedia (mpg, flv, mp3) in Jukebox
Activity.

But now I run into a wall again with 13.1.0 on an XO 1.5 (8GB), after
preparing the codecs as below and running them, which it seemed to do
successfully, I tried playing some test videos and mp3 on a flash drive.

Jukebox now opens them but just puts them in a list on the left with the
play controls greyed out.

Am I missing something in regard playing music and video?

Method used to prepare the codecs on a USB stick:

ON AN XO WITH INTERNET CONNEC TION

rpm -ivh
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noa
rch.rpm

rpm -ivh
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stab
le.noarch.rpm

(OR DOWNLOAD AND RUN THEM MANUALLY)

THEN

yum install -y yum-utils

NAVIGATE TO A USB STICK

yumdownloader --resolve gstreamer-plugins-ugly

yumdownloader --resolve gstreamer-ffmpeg

DOWNLOAD FLASH RPM FROM ADOBE AND ADD TO THE COLLECTION OF RPMS

ON ANY XO INSERT USB STICK AND RUN THE BELOW

rpm -Uhv *.rpm

David Leeming

Solomon Islands Rural Link
P.O.Box 652 Honiara, Solomon Islands