[Sugar-devel] sugar-web - API for storing data

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 10:04:15 EDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:
> This is one of the most important APIs we will have, so I would
> like to open discussion on it.
>
> In GTK activities, the activity developer subclass Activity, and
> override read() and write() methods.
>
> In web activities, we don't have that kind of hierarchy.  Instead, the
> activity developer imports 'activity/activity' module, and calls
> activity.setup() .  Then she/he can use activity.getDatastoreObject()
> to read and write.
>
> In GTK activities, 'read' is called at startup and 'write' is called
> when the activity goes to the background or when it stops.  Recently,
> I added in sugar-web those notifications, with the intention to make
> web activities behave like GTK ones.
>
> I provided an initial patch and dnarvaez proposed another option:
> https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-web/pull/74
>
> So we can:
>
> - Let web developers connect to the 'pause' and 'stop' notifications,
>   and use the activity datastore object directly. Pro: is more
>   flexible.  Con: more work in the activity side: error handling,
>   datastore object handling.
>
> - Subscribe 'read' and 'write' functions in activity.setup() .  They
>   will be called as expected, like in GTK.  'read' will have a JSON
>   string as argument.  'write' must return a JSON string.  Pro:
>   simpler approach.  Con: less flexibility in the activity side.  A
>   mockup can be found in this comment:
>   https://github.com/manuq/sugar-web/commit/3c2420f59c9aa8df44d2c0d639fe37b4af63f9fb#commitcomment-3872770
>
> Thoughts?  Any other ideas?

Re read/write for JS, I think the solution has been sufficiently
flexible for our Python activities. While I appreciate the flexibility
of Not sure of connecting to pause and stop notifications, is there a
use case where this is necessary or advantageous? Plus we need read in
both scenarios.

> --
> .. manuq ..

Walter Bender