[Sugar-devel] Bug triaging

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 12:37:38 EDT 2013

Hello,

I did a first pass on all the tickets in the Sugar component, we are now
down to 309 tickets!

I'm planning to do a second pass to close more and to set fields which I
hope will help people picking bugs to fix in the next couple of months.
Here are the fields I plan to set, I think the same should be applied to
any new incoming bug.

* Status. Set to accepted after the bug has been triaged. This will allow
us to query for bugs that needs to be triaged (status == new).
* Type. Set to enhancement tickets requesting new features. Set to task
tickets requesting code refactorings and similar. This will allow to limit
our queries to defect after feature freeze.
* Priority. Immediate and Urgent tickets will block the release.
High/Normal/Low will be useful as an hint to developers of what should be
fixed first.
* Milestone. I'm not planning to set it. The reason is that I have really
no idea how much people are going to help out with bug fixing and no
control at all on it. So I'd rather hint on what I consider important (or
necessary) for the release to ship using the Priority field as described
above. Still it might be useful to set it for people working on a customer
targeted release based on 0.100 (OLPC?), unlike me they are probably able
to allocate resources .

Thoughts?

--
Daniel Narvaez