[Sugar-devel] [GSoC 2013]

Alexandro Colorado jza at oooes.org
Sat Apr 20 12:41:19 EDT 2013

On 4/19/13, Andres Aguirre <aguirrea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Luca!
>
> The Sugar activities have a big dependence with GTK, wich is very difficult
> to port to Android, so the idea of this project is to made a wrapper of GTK
> that use a native graphic framework.
> The start point of the project is to study a basic Sugar Activity and its
> dependences with the GTK library, we propouse as case of study the activity
> "Hello World" in order to research wich are the pyGTK calls made and search
> for a native android graphic framework rich enough to implement those
> calls. We propouse use kivy based in the work of John Kim in the GCI
> http://www.google-melange.com/gci/work/download/google/gci2012/7972209?id=17001
> The next step is to implement a basic wrapper that make easy the android
> port of the sugar activities. If success we will have a method to port
> sugar activities to android. This is not a full sugar implementation for
> android but could be a starting point.

How different is this from using the native toolkit and use Py4A
(python for Android under the scripting layer) to port the business
logic?
Some tutorial on Python for Android
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10940
Both guis are basically XML GUI with similar controls
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/controls.html
Re-binding the applications to the native toolkit.

> best regards
> andrés
>

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 7:12 AM, luca melandri
> <lucamelandri0 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> my name is Luca and i saw the *GTK wrapper library for Android* project
>> in the idea page of sugar project and cause i like it and i know well
>> python language and java too used on android i'd like to know what would
>> be
>> the start point of the project and some information more about it.
>> Thanks for the anwser! :)
>>
>> --
>> Luca Melandri

Alexandro Colorado