[Sugar-devel] Web activities: widgets, UI, layout

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 13:54:21 EDT 2013

Hey,

lots of interesting projects and good points. We already discussed a bit in
IRC, but reposting here for everyone.

The most important choice seems to be be about adopting a full toolkit or
stick to plain html/javascript. From your list it seems like we have at
least three that should be evaluated.

http://enyojs.com/about/
http://angularjs.org/
http://twitter.github.io/bootstrap/components.html

If someone has more ideas I think now it's the time to bring them up!

Something we obviously need to check is if they allow enough look & feel
customization to be able to match the HIG. Beyond that, I guess it's
important to give them a try and see how well they adapt to our use cases.
Some of them might be designed for served websites which can be quite a bit
different from a web application.

Reusing an existing toolkit would reduce the amount of work we need to do,
which would be great given the resource constraints. Though I see few
disadvantages with it

* The ecosystem is moving so fast that it's quite likely today toolkits
will be obsolete or abandoned pretty soon.
* People have generally strong feelings about their toolkit of choice. It
would be nice to allow them to use whatever they like in their activities.
* We probably raise the barrier to entry by adding stuff on top of
html5/javascript.

If we decide for a lightweight framework, we have a pretty wide choice too.
>From your list

https://github.com/component
https://github.com/mozilla/mortar
http://yeoman.io/
https://github.com/volojs

And I'm sure there are a lot more. I tend to think we should not spend too
much time evaluating these. volojs seems to pretty decent and the fact
mozilla uses it is reassuring. Most importantly it should be easy to
replace this part down the road if we want to.

The hard part is how to write html/javascript/css I think.

Daniel Narvaez