[Sugar-devel] Chromium integration inside the sugar shell (was Re: Kicking off HTML5 activities work)

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Apr 17 13:20:45 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
> But is WebKit so much better? For example the WebKit2 decision _seems_ to
> have been made by Apple engineers without even talking to major
> contributors. The gtk bits are maintained the way we would like them to
> but... I'm not sure that applies to the rest of the codebase.

I think WebKit is better, but I am no expert.

I have seen extensive technical discussions on public mailing lists.
I have gotten good and detailed responses on the public bug tracker.
I've also benefitted from information posted on bug reports reported
by other people.
And the GTK guys have done a great job at catering to our immediate needs.

There are other factors too. Chromium bundles a load of libraries,
rather than using systemwide ones, which is not really the model that
we expect on the open source desktop. I think this is the main reason
why it is not in Fedora (Fedora has a guideline against that, and
packaging Chromium is no easy task as a result). WebKit is much better
there, and in being in general a good "open source desktop friendly"
solution.

Daniel