[Sugar-devel] Hacking on HTML activities UI (was Re: GSoC 13)

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 13:30:32 EDT 2013

On 13 April 2013 17:07, suraj ks <suraj.gillespie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Phew!
> Finally I'm done with my exams. :)
> Don't have to worry about writing another one until May 14(my semester end
> exams start then.)

Great! :)

> Meanwhile, I've been closely following the threads on HTML activities in
> the mailing list.
> As I was reading through, few basic doubts crept up.
>
> Do we have to build a sugar app which is supported by chrome in order to
> integrate the chrome window inside the sugar shell?
> Or are we building a chrome web app which is supported in sugar shell?

If we follow my approach, we are going to run chrome itself inside the
sugar shell. A web activity is going to be installed in chrome and opened
in a UI-less window (if you play with web apps in chrome, that should make
more sense). The sugar shell is going to do some magic to make the chrome
web activities look like native activities. Display an icon for them in the
home etc.

> Regarding the implementation of the same, which way will we be proceeding?
> I meant, will we be following the implementation technique suggested by
> you or the one suggested by Lionel?

Mine of course! :P

Kidding, I don't know that yet. We are planning to meet when Simon (one of
the sugar maintainers) is back and find a consensus on the way forward.

> I'm planning to start work on the proposal in a few days.
> It would help a great deal if you could throw some light on these.

When does the proposal need to be submitted?