[Sugar-devel] Sugar future (was Re: Re: [DESIGN] Single instance activities)

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 18:09:55 EDT 2013

On 12 April 2013 22:52, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> The initial work seems very encouraging, yet it seems Sugar Labs doesn't
> currently have the resources to make an Android offer available anytime
> soon. But: now is the time. I believe fundraising is vital to achieve this
> goal, at the very least to facilitate face to face Sugar Camps for the
> community. I have ideas how to go about this, but I agree the community
> needs to be clear about where we are going. An Android offer would of
> course be of great interest to OLPC.

To be completely honest, I think a migration to HTML/Android is never going
to happen unless someone invests in it *and* the community rallies around
that effort.

Even a small team of experienced, full time developers could lay the
framework foundations. And then writing enough activities for the framework
to be of any interest would take a *lot* of work from the community.

But are there the conditions for that to happen?

There are also initiatives we could take to multiply the size of the
> community. In particular, support for the Raspberry Pi (which has topped 1
> million units in sales - half of these since September -, is shipped
> without an OS, and is arriving in junior high and high school computer
> science classes) could be an ideal "OEM" platform for Sugar.

I also see Raspberry PI as a tempting opportunity. Though I think there is
some conflict between trying to extend the reach of the current platform
and bootstrapping a new one.

I think it's important for people to understand that porting to Android is
not really porting but a full rewrite. We can reuse designs, artwork, ideas
and some of the experience we made so far, but no code at all.