[Sugar-devel] [support-gang] Fwd: Re: Sugar future (was Re: Re: [DESIGN] Single instance activities)

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 12 17:40:29 EDT 2013

Hi Folks...
Notes from Sunny SoCal...
Another reason to "Androidize" Sugar... whenever someone asks me (as recently as last evening) about the XO Learning Tablet, they assume Sugar will run on it. I have to tell them, "no, it's an Android platform, but we hope to get Sugar running on Android devices soon" (as per the Sugar Labs goals from the start of the year). They are all pleased with that idea.
What is good/important about Sugar? Ability to collaborate. Integration of Activities so several can be combined creatively in PBL (Project Based Learning). The Activities I think are particularly good examples of this are Labyrinth and FotoToon where students can bring together all sorts of resources to create a wonderful project about any topic and level needed. They are great for history, language arts, science, etc. Some of us saw several excellent examples of Labyrinth used in this fashion when we visited schools in Uruguay.
Another Activity that fits in the same useful category as Labyrinth and FotoToon is Memorize. For that, adding a simple users guide would make it possible for anyone, children, teachers, or parents to create memorize games on any topic they liked.
To go with these, students need Activities to create the content they will need... for example, Record, Paint, Write, and Wikis where they can look up the content they can't get on their own.
Would it be possible to, instead of trying to port all of Sugar to Android, start with a few key Activities? If someone who is a whiz at this sort of thing could write something similar to James Simmons, "Make Your Own Sugar Activities," about how to convert a Sugar Activity to run on Android, then other programmers could get involved in working on them... both individually and in groups.
I'll bet we could interest LUG (Linux Users Groups) members from all over the country and maybe the world to take on projects as a club endeavor where they would "Adopt" an Activity and Adapt it to Andorid. Call it the "4A Project" or the "A/AA4A" (Adopting/Adapting Activities For Android).  I personally have contacts with 2 such groups I think would enjoy participating.
Just some thoughts... FWIW
Caryl