[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Single instance activities

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Thu Apr 11 17:15:21 EDT 2013

Hi Daniel,

2013/4/11 Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I run into a pretty fundamental problem while investigating HTML activities.
> The existing web applications frameworks (well, at least Firefox and
> Chromium) doesn't seem to support multiple instances per application.

Interesting problem, thanks for raising the discussion.

According to the Sugar HIG, activity instances "provide a way to
handle files as objects; each instance may represent a different group
of collaborating individuals, and creating a new instance of the Draw
activity implicitly creates a new drawing."

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines/Activities

By the way, I think this is the kind of things we should ask to our
users, and revisit the HIG.  Do they actually take adventage of
multiple instances?  How many times? In which user-cases?

> Do you think it would be acceptable for HTML activities to be single
> instance?
>
> To give a bit more context, on the very long term we hope developers will
> move away from native activities in favor of HTML ones.
>
> --
> Daniel Narvaez

.. manuq ..