[Sugar-devel] [GSoC '13] Introduction and a few clarifications

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Thu Apr 11 12:38:35 EDT 2013

Hello Piyush, nice to meet you,
I don't know who MrSteve is but I offer to mentor your work in case you
get accepted.
I am the author of the Sugar Network WebUI [1] which basically fits
exactly with the described
Project. It is an HTML5 Web Application built using Flask that uses a
shell plugin to provide
access to social sharing and browsing functionality from Sugar, and is
accessible by regular
web clients.

[1] Here are some links for your information:
WebUI testing: http://network-testing.sugarlabs.org/
WebUI git repo: https://git.sugarlabs.org/network/webui

General Sugar Network documentation:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Network

This work is being done to respond to needs from the field observed
during our work in Peru
since 2008, for deployment in 2013.
I'm cc'ing dogi who is listed as co-mentor to learn what his vision is
so maybe he can help us
in defining a finite project.

Broadly speaking, in terms of development, current WebUI will undergo a
polish for deployment
in the field in Peru and then most likely work will focus on 2.0 which I
was thinking on basing on
Alsroot's Contributor Hub that uses the Enyo framework, porting the
shell plugin to GTK3 and
maybe Gnome...

There are interesting discussions about HTML5 going on in the
sugar-devel list, I encourage you
to take part on them.

Let us know if you have questions.
Regards,