[Sugar-devel] Testing Journal Share v3

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Wed Apr 10 21:12:26 EDT 2013

Hi Gonzalo and other developers.  Here is some feedback for the
Journal Share activity v3.

I see current workflow is:

in the sender:

- start Journal Share activity
- add journal items pressing the '+' button
- share the activity

in the receiver:

- join activity
- press "Download" button to grab each shared item

This is much better than sharing the favourite items as in previous
versions, great!

My first attempt was with an image.  After pressing "Download" in the
remote, it was displayed in the canvas and left the activity unusable:

http://dev.laptop.org/~manuq/journalshare_b.png

I think this is because of the webkit backend.  As a png image is
something webkit can handle, it displays it instead of doing a
download.  I guess the same will be with other kind of items, like
text/html entries.

Then I tried with a Memorize session.  It was downloaded.  When I went
to see it in the remote Journal, I see:

http://dev.laptop.org/~manuq/journalshare_a.png

- the name is not preserved (displays the datastore hash) but it was
displayed in the remote activity
- no preview, but again it was there in the remote activity
- the kind (mime type) is 'application/zip', but was
'application/x-memorize-project' in the sender
- description wasn't preserved, it was replaced by "From: http://127..."

Also: adding more entries in the sender doesn't update the receivers.
To see the new shared items, I have to stop the activity and re-join.
Would be great if this can work like the shared thumbnails in Browse,
which are getting in sync through the session.

Hope this helps,

--
.. manuq ..