[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Labs in GSoC 2013

Bastien bzg at laptop.org
Wed Apr 10 19:29:28 EDT 2013

<lionel at olpc-france.org> writes:

> Yes please, give us some details. I'm not fully fluent with GSoC
> process.

Here is a summary:

1. Organizations apply ("Orgs" = e.g. Mozilla, Wikimedia Foundation,
   Gnome, GNU and ... Sugar!)

2. Organizations have Org admins.

3. Organizations get accepted or rejected.

   [We are here, with Sugar accepted as an organization.]

4. Organizations organize themselves to have mentors and a series of
   proposals.  A proposal is a project and a student.

5. Organizations ask Google for N slots.

6. Google decide how many slots each Org receives.

7. Organizations decide which projects will get the slots.

8. Students and mentors start working for three months.

Notes from past experience (I mentored three projects):

- It's better to works with students that are already members of the
  community.  It's just too frustrating to mentor students who do not
  contribute to the project after they got paid by Google (while you
  were not, btw.)

- Good mentoring takes a *lot* of time.  I mean: a lot.

- Better to design a proposal that is both easy and motivating than
  too challenging (and quickly discouraging).

- Write down the reasons why you would fail the student in the
  mid-term evaluation, and tell the student.  E.g. I had to fail a
  student that only produced specifications and no code, I thought it
  was obvious that we wanted some code for the mid-term, I realize he
  might not have plan accordinly.

- Mhh... that's all I can think of for now!

--
 Bastien