[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Web Services, Control Panel section

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Fri Apr 5 01:27:38 EDT 2013

Hi, some bits of design topics for the Web Services feature.

1. Wording.  Are we OK with "Configure your Web Services"?  First of,
no other section use verbs.  According to the description in the
feature page, this is an account manager.  Other names come to my
mind:

- Social Accounts
- Web Accounts
- Web Services Configuration (similar to Modem Configuration)

More ideas?

2. Icon.  So there is no icon yet.  I did a test using dialog baloons.
 I'm not very convinced, what do people think?

http://dev.laptop.org/~manuq/websettings-icon.png
http://dev.laptop.org/~manuq/module-webservices.svg

When no web services are installed the CP section displays a message.
Good!  To close it, buttons Cancel or OK can be pressed.  They both do
the same, which can be confusing, but this is a flaw of the sugar
control panel itself, nothing to do in this feature about this.

Ideally the link in that message could be pressed by the user, but we
know the limitations of Sugar opening activities from inside other
activities.  What would be convenient, is if the text could be
selected and copied to the clipboard, or dragged to it.  I think it
could even contain the link information.

By the way I have tried the link and it doesn't exist:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/WebServices gives 404 not found.

Walter, can you point me to one webservice extension so I can test
further?  I can see from this screenshot it embeds a webview?

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:FB-online-account-manager.png

--
.. manuq ..