[Sugar-devel] Acked-by vs Reviewed-by

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Thu Apr 4 13:02:57 EDT 2013

2013/4/3 James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>:
> That's really up to the maintainer.  If the maintainer pushes the
> patch, then Acked-by may be inferred.
>
> In general these procedures scale well to large numbers of
> maintainers, contributors, and reviewers.  I'm not sure they remain
> appropriate for Sugar given the size of the community at the moment.

In the case of a pull request workflow, the merger (author of the
merge commit) has the same meaning as the Acked-by.  So if the signing
was useful to know who reviewed/acked, the author of the merge is the
same in the pull-request.  I just merged a pull request from Daniel
Narvaez

Here is his commit:

https://github.com/dnarvaez/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/commit/db448c4eea41a5661838c3a4f3788457fe28ac77

And my merge:

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/commit/a776c72d46ac09a2791e75a7edbcbc534b158ab5

Anyways I added "Acked-by" to the merge commit message to not break
the current rules.  But we can see the duplication.

Merging can be done by the command line, not only by the github UI

https://help.github.com/articles/merging-a-pull-request

And I think we should recommend doing the merge locally for testing
before merge.  'git merge' automatically opens the editor since git
git1.7.9.6

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1276761

--
.. manuq ..