[Sugar-devel] JournalShare status

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Wed Apr 3 15:09:54 EDT 2013

> Thanks Gonzalo for the write-up!
>
> The first thing that caught my eye was the way to define which items
> should be shared. I wouldn't use the favorite metaphor for that. That works
> for the Portfolio activity well, but here it is the wrong one, imho.
>
> It should be explicit which items I want to share, using the Objectchooser
> looks like the right approach. You might actually as well to share an
> object from a usb key or an external sd-card, here the metaphor of a
> favorite item works even less.

I agree. Anyway, share the favorites items can be a option (if explicitly
selected by the user) .

> Another thing that is important is the notion of other members of the
> session. I presume the communication should happen in all directions (e.g.
> a teacher and five students each member of the session can share items with
> the other one), therefore it is important to know who is in the session and
> who has offered what.

True, we need show the objects ownership.

> Actually, we should think as well whether it should be a push or a pull
> model. The current file transfers (with friended buddies) are a push model
> where the receiver can accept or decline. I think here it is more of a
> bulletin board (some ideas for wording and similar you might find here [1])
> where people post items they want to be shared with the group, so a pull
> model makes sense here, imho.

I like use a push model because is more transparent to the user (like in
Record or Browse collaboration),
but these activities have it partially implemented, if you remove media
from one xo, is not removed in other
xos, the same happen if you change the title from one photo, is not changed
in the other xos.
I don't know if is in this way by design or because is pending.

One alternative is notify to the user when changes were pushed to the main
shared instance. Then, the user can reload
and get the view updated.

Thanks by the review & ideas.

Gonzalo