[Sugar-devel] using logging vs logger

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:53:15 EDT 2012

Sugar{,-toolkit,toolkit3,datastore} sources have a mix of direct calls
to the logging module, and calls to it via the sugar logger instance
of the logging module, which is configured.

Early in sugar-session, I understand the use of logging before
sugar.logger is setup. But after that... is there any logic to the
direct use of logging?

"it's messy/inconsistent but it works either way" is an acceptable
answer :-) -- OTOH, if there are subtleties at play, I would really
like to understand them.

Logging functionality does _not_ work correctly in all cases for the
datastore, and I'd like to fix that. Some tracebacks are being written
to the dbus daemon -- and the caller at the other end of the dbus
conversation does not understand the response. Sometimes *that* gets
logged but it's very unwieldy to debug in these conditions.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions