[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Digest 2012-09-18

S. Daniel Francis francis at sugarlabs.org
Thu Sep 20 11:01:00 EDT 2012

2012/9/20 Kevin Mark <kevin.mark at verizon.net>:

> While I can't speak for Sugar Labs, this sound like a very good problems to address. "Scratch" has a
> website to 'upload' its programs. I would really love to see a way to help young sugar activity hacker
> have a place for them to 'hack' on their games/activities. Maybe Activities.sugarlabs.org or some
> website in .uy? And maybe a forum? (I'm not someone to do this sadly but would think that the very
> capable people around the sugar community would find this idea motivating)

ASLO is a good place to upload a Sugar Activity, also in Uruguay we
have a deserted website for the ceibalJAM community:
http://ceibaljam.org/drupal/?q=lista_descargas
CeibalJAM is an organization made for volunteers with the aim of
generate educational resources looking at what is needed by the
children at Uruguay. I used to write at the CeibalJAM mailing list.
(Olpc-Uruguay on lists.laptop.org)

> OH wow. I have recently started to 'hack' on JAMedia and JAMediaTube. So I know his work. I wonder if
> making videos of his lecture would be something he could do and the kids could watch?

He wants to do his code hackable by interested children, so he writes
his programs in Spanish. It's a good way to learn, but it's not a good
practice. At least he should setup i18n at JAMedia.

> If you and others can make 'clubs' in your area, that would be great, maybe they can setup a web 'forum' for everyone to exchange ideas.

We started a public google group one time, but we are too few, and at
Olpc-Uruguay we could share, ask, etc.

> Oh, that is sad, I'm surprised to read that.

The first year when I received my XO, I had a teacher who requested as
homework make some geometric forms with TA.
At the next courses, the teachers preferred Scratch and Etoys because
it was what they learned in their teaching courses. With the robots
getting the schools, there are teachers learning TA and they liked it
very much.

Now at the highschool (from twelve years old to eighteen in .UY),
teachers aren't formed to work with XOs, so the usage at highschools
is very poor.
So I'd say the expected educational implementation of OLPC and Sugar,
is happening slowly at primary schools.

Cheers,
Daniel.