[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Digest 2012-09-18

Kevin Mark kevin.mark at verizon.net
Wed Sep 19 22:18:09 EDT 2012

--- On Wed, 9/19/12, S. Daniel Francis <francis at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> From: S. Daniel Francis <francis at sugarlabs.org>
> Subject: Re: [Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Digest 2012-09-18
> To: "James Simmons" <nicestep at gmail.com>
> Cc: "iaep" <iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org>, "Sugar-dev Devel" <sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org>, community-news at lists.sugarlabs.org, "Walter Bender" <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> Date: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
> 2012/9/19 James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com>:
> > Walter,
> >
> > First, congrats on the grandchild.
> >
> > Second, I am intrigued by the statement that 10% of
> Sugar Activities were
> > written by children who grew up with Sugar.  That
> is an incredible
> > accomplishment, and it makes me wish that the ASLO
> website had a Collection
> > of those Activities.  If something like that
> existed I could see what kinds
> > of Activities they were doing, how many were programs
> written for other
> > environments using a Sugar wrapper, how many are purely
> Sugar Activities,
> > who the developers are, what Sugar features are they
> using and not using,
> > how popular the Activities are, etc.
>
> Hello James,
> I feel identified with what Walter described so I dare to
> answer. I'm
> from Uruguay and I'm thirteen years old. I'm one of the
> activity
> developers in transition to Sugar contributor. I don't know
> other
> young Sugar contributors outside Uruguay, so I'll tell you
> about the
> situation here.
>
> About one year ago, children made activities often as a
> hobbie, that
> activities had not a reasonable aim and they weren't very
> well
> integrated with Sugar.

Hearing from the kids who are making Sugar activities and more contributions, I'm really wanting to know what teaching environment made this possible? Are there activity hacking classes? Is this kind of experimentation part of a turtleart class? A math class? have kids 'goggled' about programming on their own time and wanted to know about programming? Are there computer programming classes and teachers that have assignments that ask the kids to explore? Is this material online? Are there self-assembled sugar hacking groups?
I've love to have any of these answers.
Cheers,
Kev