[Sugar-devel] Problem downloading a lease.sig file on an XO

Juan Cubillo jcubillo at fundacionqt.org
Wed Sep 12 20:39:09 EDT 2012

Hello,

Our project would like to give kids the posibility of downloading a
lease.sig file and unlock a friends or family XO without having to
contact our tech support team. In order to do this, I setup a public
dropbox link to a nightly generated lease.sig file that gives the XOs
some extra activation time.
Problem is that when an XO downloads the file, its name gets and extra
.asc extension so it ends up as  lease.sig.asc.
Since kids will be doing this, I wanted to give them only the basic
steps to be able to re-activate laptops: 1-Download file. 2-place it on
an empty usb memory. 3-Conect to xo and turn on.
Re-naming the file would mean that they have to go to terminal, cd into
the thumbdrive directory, change filename, etc... it's just way too much.

So... couple questions:
1. Is there a security problem/concern with having our project's
lease.sig file publicly available? (we only generate activations for
non-stolen XOs)
2. Why is the XO adding this .asc extension or how can it be avoided?

Regards,

  - Juan Cubillo